British Gas, Citi and Plantronics are among the employers that have been awarded for their benefits and policies that support working parents.
The Top Employers for Working Families Benchmark Awards, founded by charity Working Families in partnership with the Institute for Employment Studies and sponsored by Computershare Voucher Services, recognise employers that support parents, carers, flexible working, work-life balance and career development.
The winners were:
- Best for carers and eldercare – British Gas
- Best for all stages of fatherhood – Citi
- Best for all stages of motherhood – Barclays and London School of Economics and Political Science
- Best for innovation – Plantronics
- Best for engagement – Plantronics
- Best for flexible working – Simmons and Simmons
- Best for childcare – Chelsea and Westminster Hospital NHS Foundation Trust and Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Best for career progression for flexible workers – Wales and West Housing
The 2013 awards saw the introduction of a new benchmark award for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). The top family-friendly SME award went to internal communications agency AB.
The awards also recognised the top 40 employers for working families. The top 10 were:
- American Express
- Ernst and Young
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- Southdown Housing Association
- The London School of Economics and Political Science
- Wales and West Housing
Sarah Jackson, chief executive of Working Families, said: “We congratulate the outstanding organisations that have gained a much-coveted place on the final list of Top Employers for Working Families or that have won a special award.
“The entrants, whether from very small enterprises or large private or public sector organisations, have all demonstrated an understanding of the links between flexibility, engagement, wellbeing and performance.
“These employers are able to show the positive effect of flexible working and family-friendly policies on the financial bottom line.”