Something for the weekend…
How much time a day do your employees actually spend working? It seems that the average office worker spends only two hours and 53 minutes a day being productive.
According to research by Vouchercloud.com, most of us spend the working day procrastinating, discussing out-of-work activities with colleagues and even searching for a new job.
The most cited unproductive activity was checking social media, followed by reading news websites. A whopping one hour and five minutes of the day is spent doing so.
More than half (54%) of respondents felt the day is more bearable with intermittent breaks, such as smoking, making tea, eating snacks, and making calls to partners and friends.
Even with all the tea making and snack eating around here, the EB team spends longer than just three hours a day working. What about your workplace?
The top 10 unproductive activities are:
1. Checking social media – 47% (44 minutes, spent doing this during working day).
2. Reading news websites – 45% (one hour and five minutes).
3. Discussing out-of-work activities with colleagues – 38% (40 minutes).
4. Making hot drinks – 31% (17 minutes).
5. Smoking breaks – 28% (23 minutes).
6. Texting and instant messaging – 27% (14 minutes).
7. Eating snacks – 25% (eight minutes).
8. Making food in the office – 24% (seven minutes).
9. Making calls to partners and friends – 24% (18 minutes).
10. Searching for new jobs – 19% (26 minutes).