Something for the weekend…
With a number of employers offering their workforces access to an on-site gym, perhaps pumping out the top 10 most motivating tunes will encourage staff to make the most of the facility.
Brunel Univeristy and Spotify studied more than 6.7 million fitness compilations, to put together the ultimate workout playlist in a bid to help motivate the country to stay fit and healthy. The playlist is based on the global popularity of tracks,as well as those that are proven to make exercisers work harder based on their tempo, style and lyrical content.
Employers really looking to help staff maximise their workouts should also consider the music preferences and visiting times of different demographic groups.
Rocky theme tune Eye of the Tiger, for example, is more popular among male exercisers, while women tend to opt for Rihanna or Lady Gaga while putting their gym membership to use.
The research also found that women are more likely to be pre-breakfast gym-goers. Men in comparison, are more likelly to fill the gym during lunch hours or evenings.
Dr Costas Karageorghis, deputy head (research) of the School of Sport and Education at Brunel University, London and reader in sport psychology, said: “When your body is shouting stop, the music has the power to lift your mood and beckon you on.”
So, if employees are ever in need of a pick me up at the gym, employers could turn to the study’s ultimate workout playlist:
1. Roar, Katy Perry
2. Talk Dirty, Jason Derulo featuring 2 Chainz
3. Skip To The Good Bit, Rizzle Kicks
4. Get Lucky, Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams
5. Move, Little Mix
6. Need U 100%, Duke Dumont featuring A*M*E – 124 BPM
7. You Make Me, Avicii
8. Feel My Rhythm, Viralites
9. Timber, Pitbull featuring Ke$ha
10. Applause, Lady Gaga
11. Can’t Hold Us, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Ray Dalton
12. Happy, Pharrell Williams
13. The Monster, Eminem featuring Rihanna
14. Love Me Again, John Newman
15. Get Down, Groove Armada featuring Stush and Red Rat
16. #thatPOWER, will.i.am featuring Justin Bieber.