BBC awards staff 5.2% pay rise for 2022

BBC pay discrimination cases dismissed by Equality and Human Rights CommissionThe BBC has promised a 4.2% pay increase for its staff, followed by a further rise of 1% from August, bringing the total increase for 2022 to 5.2%.

While this is 3% more than the annual pay increase provided by the broadcaster in 2021, it has acknowledged that this is still below the current 7% inflation rate.

Senior leaders will not receive an automatic increase as their pay is subject to a different process.

According to the BBC, it is able to offer this 2022 pay increase because it has been cutting staff numbers and saving costs, stating it believes the rise to be “right and fair” and would rather have “fewer people paid closer to the wider media market.”

Last year, the number of employees at the organisation fell by more than 1,200, 6% of the total workforce, while senior leader numbers were down by above 5%.

The BBC has also pledged to provide support and flexibility, along with consistency of approach, for paternity and maternity leave across the business for all new parents, assistance for employees in managing co-ordination of dependent care, a peer support network, and practical advice and support for all staff to develop fulfilling careers through career development programmes and training resources.

As signatories of the Menopause Workplace Pledge, it has also committed to work in partnership with employees to raise awareness and advocacy around the condition.

Tim Davie, director-general, said: “The BBC is the home of creative excellence and world-beating impartial journalism. We want our staff to thrive, produce their best work and feel valued for their output.

“Last year the number of employees fell by over 1,200. The BBC is smaller but we also need to attract and retain world-class talent, within a reformed, modern and efficient organisation that provides great value to audiences.”